Sunday 3 April 2016

From Old to New

Last week I realised I needed to post three birthday cards 
(that should have already been in the mail .... oops!)
 so since I have a box full of ready-to-use cards, I had what I thought was going to be, a quick look.  Silly me, once I started looking, I also started culling.  Some got binned as I simply could not imagine who I would ever send them to; others were given an envelope and put in a cellophane bag ready to donate or sell; and some were swaps from various times and places.  The cards that were getting binned, mostly got their backs cut off for use on other projects and a couple got pulled apart to re-use.

So, (are you still with me?) today's card is one that was pulled apart, which works perfectly with a couple of themes this week -
"What's Old is New Again"

the finished card

Now, to start at the beginning of the journey from old to new ....

old scrip pulled off card backing

after inking with 'mustard seed' Distress Ink, the resist pattern shows through

'Gibi' made an appearance after a long absence, 'black soot' Distress Ink was added to the edges for contrast, washi tape was added for Gibi to stand on and some Tim Holtz word stickers finished off the card.

From Old to New, what do you think?  I'm happy with the outcome and now have a perfectly usable card, from one that was destined for the bin.

Stamps
Stampotique - 'Gibi'

Challenge
Stampotique Designers Challenge - #238 "What's Old is New Again"

Note : I entered this card in another challenge but as it isn't suitable I have deleted the links.

Happy Crafting!


7 comments:

  1. This is a great piece of up-cycling Helen, however although reasonably unadorned, your background paper cannot be defined as 'white space' as it is decorated and is part of your general design.
    "White space" is in fact simply the card base totally unadorned.
    (Or plain paper used to change the colour of the card base)
    It's kind of a tricky one to define, but we have always posted our Guidelines on our blog showing what our expectations are.
    We really, really hope that you will join us again!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is more"

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely card, great reuse of a reject! The expression on his face cracks me up! Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous mixed media and colours! Such a shame about the 'white space' but a gorgeous card anyway. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your re-do is fabulous!

    Thanks for playing along with us at Stampotique Designers Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card made out of other cards and leftovers ! I am the same Helen, a box full of cards and nothing suitable ! I must remember your idea ! Thanks for joining us over at Stampotique !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant Helen, and just perfect for our Stampotique challenge. I'm glad it's not just me that has cards that will never get sent lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic upcycling, Helen! This got me thinking that I have a few projects that I'd like to rip apart and re-make! I just love how the new make turned out! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Stampotique this week!
    Val :)

    ReplyDelete

Any messages (so long as they are positive [hehehe!] ) gratefully received!