Wednesday 19 August 2015

Rapunzel

As you may (or may not) know, I enjoy joining in on a couple of international swaps, with a different theme each month.  This month's swap was an 'altered playing card with a fairytale theme' so after a bit of thinking and inspiration from others being posted, this is what I came up with :

Rapunzel

Now, if you are wondering how I fitted so much onto a playing card ...... well, no one said what size the playing card had to be!

I started by covering the back of the card with gesso.  While that was drying I stamped, coloured and cut out all the different pieces that would form the background of my little scene.  A number of different stamps were used for this and these will be listed at the end of this post.

Once the gesso was dry, I used gelatos for the blue and green background.  These add a bit of a shimmer while still allowing a parts of the original card to peep through.

 unaltered side of playing card

 the two cards with slight variations

I'm really not sure what the original purpose of these playing cards would have been, but they were in a container of unwanted goodies that my friend, Jenni, gave me.   On first glance I dismissed them but when this swap was announced using an altered playing card, I gave them a second look - as I said earlier, no one said how big [12.5cm x 18cm] (or small) the playing cards needed to be!

The cards are now winging their way to different parts of the globe, hopefully arriving at their destinations in the not too distant future (fingers crossed Mr Postie).

Playing Card - Heidi Swap
"Edwin's Knight Castle" - Magnolia stamps
"Warm Wishes" - Julie Nutting
"Arch" - Stampotique
"Picket Fence" - Stampotique
"Rope" - Heirloom Ornaments (Spellbinders freebie)

Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic card and thanks for clearing the up the size question xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Helen, this card is awesome <3
    Thank you for using my arch!

    xx Arwen

    ReplyDelete

Any messages (so long as they are positive [hehehe!] ) gratefully received!